Monday, September 22, 2008

2 Weeks Old


in my younger years i remember walking around holding my dolls being the best mother in the world. i would wrap them up in their little blankets, feed them, change their diapers and brush their hair. i'm sure by the time i was 5 i was a perfect mother for those plastic little creations. even in high school i still got to play mommy for child development with an egg and with the simulated dolls that cry randomly and you have to hold the key until they shut up. but no amount of life training whether formal or just play time growing up trained me for this. the bridge is two week old now and wow i haven't had time to do really anything for myself. all he does is cry, poop and eat. and then with maybe an hour of sleep the cycle begins again cry, poop, eat. there is no magic key to hold to turn the loud crying off and instead of the wonderful smell of plastic out comes a mustard yellow stink (and that is not an egg yolk like what happened to my egg baby). i never knew how long a night could last until now. but slowly things are changing or i'm changing. i don't care anymore if i get poop on my hands or spit up down my shirt like i use to when it was my nieces and nephews. i love that i can pick something so little and scared after getting his foot poked by the nurse and have him cuddle to his mommy for comfort. i love that most the time when he is screaming it's because we just can't figure out what he wants. for instance last night he was so hungry but he wouldn't eat i had done everything i could think of i even warmed the bottle for the third time i began to thing i must have just ate something bad and he was rejecting my breast milk. then aidan came out and tried for a bit and then he pulled out the bottle and it wasn't letting any food out of the nipple. after i quickly fixed the problem little brigder settled right down had dinner and went right to sleep. so now after two weeks a no sleep and having an infant show you how many mistake you make you learn how to really serve and to really love unconditionally. because when i think there may be some real problem going on with the little guy all he wants to do is cry, poop and eat but he always mixes it with a whole lot of love. something a plastic doll can never teach you.

10 comments:

Ashley Brinn said...

What a wonderful post. I'm practically in tears from reading it. Even in the past little while, its amazing how your life, and love has improved and increased since this new little miracle has come. I like that you call him "the bridge" its adorable. ;)

Erin Brady said...

He sounds talented. You sound like a mother. Cute.

kim and ned said...

Oh man. I want to see you guys so bad. We were going to be in Provo on Sunday, but then my brother and his wife ended up having their baby that day, so we had to go to Ogden instead. Bummer.

Meagan DeLange said...

Hi Racquel, Aidan, and cutest little Bridger Glen : ). I like how you talk about getting used to being a mother, because sometimes I get so worried that I won't know what to do when I have kids. Sometimes it seems like everyone just magically knows what to do, but I'm sure everyone has to get used to it the same way - by practice : ). We should get together with you guys and Kim and Ned sometime and play games : )! Also, thanks Racquel for your comment about Heroes. It has given me hope : )! I can't watch ANYTHING scary either, but after what you said I feel better. Peter was my favorite character from the beginning too.

Aubrey said...

He is so sweet. I can't believe he's already two weeks old. I remember bringing Madeleine home and crying because I can't even keep houseplants alive...and the hospital staff was just crazy for letting me take a baby home. They teach you. Babies also love their Mommies more than anything. Isn't it Great!
p.s. I think you're ahead of the game on the mommy thing. My baby dolls had awful lives

Aleta said...

Anything I ever learned that was worthwhile I learned from a child. As a new mother I had never been pooped on more or thrown up on more in my life. Sleep? What is that?

Emily Jane Price said...

Yay! =)

Ashley said...

Racquel, Congrats on your baby! I am so excited for both you and Aidan! I wish I was there and could see him! Miss you!

Erin Brady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
alli taggart said...

yes. it's great, isn't it?